The ADHD Fix
What is The Butterfly Effect to Longevity?
By Dr. Henry J. Svec
If you are 50 years of age or older, or have been diagnosed with a chronic disease, you are likely thinking of your longevity and the quality of that life. The Butterfly Effect means that even a very small change in some event can cause a greater one and even catastrophic one later. Originally it was felt that the flap of a butterfly may later cause a tornado due to the changes in the course of events brought on by the simple flap of those wings. If there were such a small action that would enhance your health, increase your longevity and quality of life, what do you think it could be? Let me tell you what this minor action can do for you.
- It causes changes in your DNA and improves your ability to fight disease and turn off those genetic markers that can lead to disease. In one study, it changed over “5,000 different sites on the genome of muscle cells that now featured new methylation patterns.” https://well.blogs.nytimes.com/2014/12/17/how-exercise-changes-our-dna/?_r=0
- It causes changes in your brain, encourages your hippocampus to produce more brain cells and repair damaged tissue (if you’ve been reading my blogs, I think I just gave it away).
- It is now believed to be one of the best ways to treat depression and other mental health ailments. https://youtu.be/6OOCR5uNp7s
- It will improve your sex life. The science is very clear on this one as well. http://www.foxnews.com/health/2013/09/09/how-working-out-can-improve-your-sex-life.html
- It helps you become more successful financially, and in one study increased earnings by 9% year over year. http://business.time.com/2012/06/08/one-more-reason-to-hit-the-gym-youll-make-more-money/
- There are so many other benefits; think of something that is bothering or hurting you, and likely, under proper supervision and direction, this will help with that.
- It only takes 10 minutes a day to do, 3 times a week. Then you will need to work up to 20 minutes a day 5 days a week.
You likely guessed I’m talking about exercise. While the brain changes brought on by exercise are extremely striking and motivating, the science on DNA changes recently reviewed are even more compelling. We can really change the impact of our genetic makeup to a healthier one by exercising only a few minutes each day (we now believe we have it down to 20 minutes). Let the butterfly effect of these 20 minutes a day change your entire life. What are you waiting for? Get started today.